Thursday, September 27, 2007

Must forgive chemo / radiation brain!!

for ages I have not been able to remember my sign in for this dang blog!
Quick update!
- my hair is growing, salt and pepper but very thick and a bit curly! Actually I kind of like it!

-finished chemo at the end of June and started radiation 3 weeks later.

- Dr was VERY aggressive with the radiation- that's ok- I approve of all things that will cure me.

-major radiation burns, started week 3 and continued until finished Sept 1st! 6 1/2 weeks in total! Most people if they get boosts, apparently get 4-5, I got 8!! Lived braless for 6 weeks and went through so many tubes of flamazine that the pharmacy thought I was selling it on the black market LOL. The last area of my skin closed and stopped draining Sept 20th. Have a couple scare like areas from the burns but hopefully they will fade in time.

-3 of the best friends in the world surprised me by paying for a trip to Vegas!! We left Sept 16th, which as it turned out was in hindsight a little soon for me and I was exhausted, but it was still wonderful to get away and I was smart enough to rest a lot in my room. Not my usual Vegas vacation but fun none the less!

-Orignianlly I wanted to have reconstruction ASAP!!!, I have now realized that I am not as strong as I wish myself to be and that it will take some time to return to "normal" and am no content to wait for however long it takes before I face anything so major!

-just before we left for Vegas I had to have a repeat cystoscopy (done every 3 months) and the bladder remains clear from cancer tumors!!

-on returning from Vegas I had my port- a - cath out and that made me feel like I was at the end of the hideous journey and can now just concentrate on rest and relaxation in preparation for my return to the REAL world!!

- will do my best to keep you informed but will be very mundane, guess what I am gardening again type of entry!! looking forward to just being healthy!
Shirley

No comments: